Sunshine Sandwich

-->
It poured in the morning and the sound of a Maho Bay rain is the right kind of alarm to wake to. It’s gentle, and it’s even more inviting when it wakes you to an unplanned last full day by the bay.

 
I went to bed relatively early, so when the rain woke me I wasn’t the least bit put out.  I did hope for some sun in the afternoon for a long sweet swim. 

That’s where the sunshine sandwich comes in. Lots of rain in morning. Sunshine. Lots of rain in the evening.  It rained pretty straight until about 1pm, so I just lounged with my book and then went way up to the yoga studio to stretch and hang out. I also got the keys to Harmony Studios, the more high end luxury accommodations here on the campground.  I have to say, even with the 500 count sheets and the bathrooms with hot showers, I’d stay in the little E10 hut again in a minute. Harmony reminded me of my little magical shack apartment up in the North Berkeley hills with a panoramic view of the entire San Francisco Bay in my Berkeley days.  It was a treehouse and a mini little chalet.  I’ve never stayed in a little wooden hut before, so E10 will remain my fave.

Okay, so how can I make a weather report interesting? Not quite sure yet, other than the fact that it stopped pouring at about 1pm as if the sky never shed a tear, the entire sky smiled a big sunny smile and the sand was dry and warm in minutes.  I swam my last swim and floated my last float (for now and it felt luxurious. I love these waters. 

There was plenty of time before I was to board the Heron at 3:45 for a sunset cruise past Great Thatch and into British waters toward Jost Van Dyke and return around the tip of Tortola at Sopers Hole.

Sigh.  You know how the weather story ends. A downpour at exactly 3:45pm – hard rain, and not the kind of rain that is a tease, the kind of rain that pours down after holding our for 7 perfect days.  So, with that in mind, I took the cancellation well and remembered a philosophy that is one I like to follow: always leave wanting more.  Yet another something to look forward to on my “yet’ list. Especially, since the Heron, and the family that built it and live on this 65 foot Schooner live in Rockport, Maine so it’s not impossible to seek them out for a ride. I mentioned it to John and he’s game.  I’m also have on my list to visit Brooklin, Maine to check out the wooden boat building school to scope it out for my dad since he’s been building a wooden boat in his doodles for decades.