Dance of glass

-->

Most people might find the nearest awesome restaurant in Cruz Bay and the best bottle of rum or music or a place for a rocking Caribbean dance on their last night in St. John.   I was more than happy to put my feet up and read.  Tree frogs filled the air with easy listening music and a cool time to begin to catch up with home and call the momma and poppa and man and check in on my life that awaits. 

Dinner of tofu, risotto and mixed veggie while hanging in the dining hall was a happy meal for me.  The choices for the night’s activites were both so good that I couldn’t make up my mind. Movie? BBC’s Earth narrated by David Attenborough or  sitting on little benches in the glass studio and watching the creative dance of the two glass blowers creating a shiny blue and orange vase made of the discarded glass beer and rum bottles.  I chose a little bit of both and was perfectly satisfied.

I didn’t think I’d dig on the glass blowing as much as I did since it was one of those "been there done that" mindsets. Living in Beacon, NY by Hudson Beach Glass and watching the pros, on top of the other end of Main Street we have Niche Modern where I got to watch a friend who works there in her glory and expertise. I figured nothing could beat that. 

Well, I was wrong. This dance between the two young glass handlers was memorable and sensual and an artistic delight to watch them in their unassuming manner and their passion for the art. I dig the creative vibe of this place, from the ceramic studio stuff to woven arts.  I feel like I am Maho Bay's public relations manager, so I’ll stop here.

Oh, dare I mention a book idea though? I’ll plant the seed.  Maho Bay Camp experiences is a book unwritten. The trip advisor blurbs are not sufficient, so there should be a compilation of stories from the guests through the years. Maho Bay Chronicles or Maho Memories. Something like that.

Okay I’ll stop.