Floating

-->



After a long stretch of morning and breakfast in my little Gilligan’s Island hut, I moved myself down the stairs slowly. I have entered the no rush zone.  My only agenda was to go to the beach with a book.

I parked myself in a little spot that allowed me to hang stuff on a tree and stayed on the beach for hours. Some swimming, some lounging with me, a book and sun block on little Maho beach.

The water: Not only is it a turquoise color, but it’s not too chilly to just get in there. One reason I don’t love swimming in the ocean is because it’s usually such extreme cold to the contrast of a warm heated body.  Not to mention the roughness of it all. I like calm waters. I like floating. I like no currents dragging me to the other end of a beach and I have to force myself back. I like playing dead and when I come alive again being in the same happy spot.



I swam, I did back stokes, breast strokes and doggy paddle. I chose where I wanted to go in the stillness of the water. I swam out to this little yellow sailboat and back, and then I worked my way over toward Big Maho Bay which was just a contour away and a bigger stretch of beach.  I passed the exotic fish and turtle seeking snorkel people who looked all disappointed that they didn’t see what they were seeking.

As I floated, I thought about snorkeling.  I’ve snorkeled in the past and I’ve attempted to get certified for scuba because that was what everyone was doing once when I was at Turks Caicos. This trip I figured I’d be snorkeling like most people do.

Until I thought about it as I floated above the water. I thought about the purpose of this water on earth and how it is used to transport vessels from one part of a country or city or bay to another. I wonder though, is that the purpose for these waters? Or is it a world in and of itself that existed before we found a use for it? Bingo. All of a sudden we humans began to see it as a means to transport goods and beings and we began to pollute the waters with our fumes and our missions.  We began to fish in it for food and dive in it for recreation.

I decided that I am not going to dive in it as a voyeur to watch the underworld and how they live. There are enough people doing that. I decided to believe in the mystery of it all and to leave them alone with me and my snorkel gear.  I know there are sea turtles. I know what they look like.

I’m sure there is some beauty under me as I swim in these waters, and I’m grateful that the beings in these waters allow me to swim and float and move my body in the glory of it, but I don’t need to put on a mask and fins and gadgets and goop at them living their lives undersea.  It made me think of hunters going in the woods as if it’s their right and shooting animals for sport. It made me think of the hooks at the end of fishing poles being toss into a peaceful sea or bay teasing these mammals with enticing food only to hook them, kill them and slice them up or throw them back because they are not good enough.

I won’t fish. I won’t scuba and I won’t snorkel.  Just like I don’t want anyone peering down on me for recreation or far worse coming into my home and shooting me so they can brag about it later.

Now, on a lighter, warmer note about swimming:  it’s just so good for my body and I love the weightlessness of it. I used to love my swims in the UC Berkeley pool and the gym at Equinox and I’ve let that all go because of the busy factor of life, and frankly, because it takes time and I get all wet a sticky and can’t just go for a swim at lunch hour. Nevertheless, I do love it.  I still have the little medal I won at Kiddy Beach and remember my mom cheering me on as I swam from raft to raft and won that race.
While I was swimming and feeling the warmth of the sun as I floated on my back I went into this place of imagining the womb. It was just so beautiful. So safe and I thought of how awesome it is that we start our lives this way.  We float around in this warm fluid as we are connected in the deepest and most profound way possible to another human being. As I floated, I felt such deep gratitude for my mother who nurtured five of us this way. I thought of pregnant women and how this nine month period should be a time of being still and just experiencing that, and nothing else. Learning about this life, rubbing their tummies and speaking softly to this growing human floating inside their bellies. I thought of how it must have felt to be there. I felt the sadness that comes from time to time that as a woman with this body that is capable of such an experience, didn’t have one.  I didn’t get to feel that sensation and bring a child to life and no matter how I mask that with all of the justifications and rationalizations and understandings, there are times that I enter a realm of deep sadness that I missed out on something so profound that words only minimize it, I’m sure.

Still, I float and feel the sensations, honor my choices and keep swimming and remember how much I truly do adore my freedom.