Sunset Yoga

-->


The yoga studio is perched high on a mountain in a circular structure.  I walked in to the beaming smile of Joelle the teacher who immediately came over to me beaming and shaking my hand welcoming me with his Australian accent.  He wanted to know if I had practiced before and I always say that I’m a beginner, because for me in yoga I’ll always be a beginner.  The students in the class were far from beginners and mostly, but I felt so peaceful and stretched beyond my norm mainly because Joelle invited all levels and gave modified poses along with advanced. More importantly for me the setting inspired my body to open more expansively and generously. It was just so beautiful to be in this setting as the sky opened up to orange and we looked out at the bays and felt the breezes in the open air.

After yoga with just the light of my little light, I walked down the hill to dinner and sat near a woman who had been coming to Maho since the 70’s with her family and now her kids are in college and would be joining her in the next few days. She’s travel worldwide and she’s knows all the luxury places on the island and I get the sense that staying high end wouldn’t be an issue, but here she is at Maho in the little tent cottage. She has no desire to be in one of those big resorts and when it’s time for dinner wondering what to wear. 

What I love about being away, and especially being at a place like this, is that my eyes thank me for not coating them with dark lines and mascara. My hair thanks me for giving it a break from the heated objects. My skin thanks me for the moisture and for letting it be all natural and my body thanks me for wrapping it ino lose clothing and giving it some rest.

After dinner, me and my flashlight walked up the steps to my little hut so my body could thank me even more for an evening of reading and going to bed by 9:30. Yes, 9:30.