My little hut


-->
I’m not a camper chic.  My first time ever camping was Burning Man and that was a complete shock to my system, until day two when I adapted to Black Rock City and the awesomeness of dirt camping and what we called Pamper Camp.  Three burning men later, I knew it was possible to camp.  My partner knows everything about camping, but we have never really been out there in the wilderness together, yet. I know that is on our horizon and the only time we have been in a tent is when he set it up in the back yard at the Vermont gatherings we attend with a group of our friends and there is no extra room for us in the house. I got a bit cranky having to get up in the middle of the night to enter the house to use the bathroom.  I still have a ways to go to become a camper cave woman.

Why am I talking camp talk? Because I am at one.  It is day two of my time at Maho Bay Camps and it’s not dirt camping and it’s not true wilderness camping with bears poking around outside, but it sure has some creepy crawly critters. 

After a nice dinner of vegetarian gumbo on the deck overlooking the night sky that I got to watch go pitch black with a sliver of a moon and stars that I know exist even in my Manhattan sky.  It was beautiful, and lovely to connect a bit with two gals from Georgia who were curious to know about the devastation of the two Sandy disasters (Sandy Hook and Hurricane Sandy) – and as I listened to myself talk about what I knew, it felt like a foreign language in this setting and like I was poisoning the air by giving it any time under the canopy of a Caribbean sky.  It felt good though to listen to the buzz of conversation around me and the clanking of the dishes and cook calling out the name of the guest to come fetch their plate of food.  So, you see it’s not true camping.

It’s pitch black here at night other than my flashlight guiding me up the winding and cool wooden elevated stairway with it’s 63 steps from the dining hall that lead to the tent camp E10.  162 to the beach, btw. I got freaked out by the darkness, but the sounds of the crickets helped soothe me.  Slept with a geiko looking over my bed and I figured, I entered the home of the geiko so technically I’m the intruder.  What I didn’t like is the blind roach that lost its way and was hopping all over my bed. I know that if I didn’t see it, it wouldn’t bother me, but once you spot a blind roach, it doesn’t make for a fun sleeping.  I’m sympathetic to the blind, but not the blind roach. If I ever see one in my apartment, I’m pretty much up all night.

One phone call from my man helped to calm me down and remind me that the morning it will be okay.