Carribean Chow

-->

On some little side street was a recommended Caribbean restaurant.  There is nothing too beautiful about the view, but I had to have a plate of traditional Caribbean food.  It  was a plate of  vegetables with a special sauce that I guess was Caribbean.  Place is called Sogo.  It had yummy zucchini, carrots, plantains, rice, mashed potatoes and Fungi (fungi is cornmeal with okra).  It was crowded which is a good sign, and the woman that served me was also the cook and she was super sweet.  I felt peaceful sitting there listening to fast paced Caribbean Christmas music.   The only sign that it is a Caribbean Charlie Brown Christmas tree across from the ferry station.

The food overall this trip has been just fine. Knowing that I’d be in camper girl mode, I packed my oatmeal and walnuts for breakfast and have been boiling water and making breakfasts on my little propane stove. I brought some of my healthy bread to make peanut butter sandwiches for lunch occasionally and some energy bars.  I’ve been having dinner in the main dining hall and there is  always have a veggie option which is quite yummy.  I’m not into the whole dining out thing while I’m here. I remember Italy solo, and it was all about that dining out and I loved it, but this is about fuel and people and nourishment and rest and so much more.  I have to say though that at the little general store on grounds I had this awesome wrap of tofu, pineapple and veggies and it was so amazing.  Oh, and after a day of a nice long hike and swimming at Salt Pond my body was so hot and Hamilton the friendly driver took us all to this little local place in Coral Bay and I had an island favorite called Johnny Cake which is just warm dough packed with whatever you want, cheese or tuna or meat of some kind – but plain is scrumptious – so that and the best diet coke in my life. I was so parched and the warm water from my bag wasn’t doing the trick. It was the best combo at that very moment in time.